There were two lady nerds who had grown frustrated with the lack of opportunity to express their passions for games, comics, movies, TV shows, and books. They became so frustrated over time that so few people in their immediate vicinity genuinely understood or appreciated the vast myriad of their obsessions that they decided to band together and do what most overly passionate individuals do nowadays.... blog about it.
This is their story."
Our story, rather. Sorry, it's us. That intro was a bit much. Well, it's us. Alexis M. and Aly G. Here we are, Professional Lady Nerds. We like a lot of different things, and when I say 'like' I mean we REALLY like them. A lot. Much too much to be polite in general conversation. Hence the blog. We couldn't get by just pretending to blend in any longer. Apologies to those of you who are reading this because you're our friends; we know that on many occasions we have confused, frustrated, and possibly even insulted you. Please accept our apologies. It's become too much to bear, so we're hoping the blog will give us ample room to exercise our inclinations. The following is a basic rundown of what you can expect from us here at Something Cute and Nerdy:
- Book Reviews! We are two gals that f*@#ng LOVE to read. Multiple books at once, usually. Expect lots and lots of promotional blurbs and full reviews. If you're an author looking for some word-of-mouth assistance, shoot us an email or a tweet because we love reading new stuff, especially in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, ESPECIALLY steampunk. Also, AG reads super fast, so feedback is prompt.
- TV Show Recaps! Doctor Who especially, but anything currently airing and remotely nerdy is game. This category may also include discussions and reflections of past episodes of finished series (such as X-Files, Battlestar Galactica, old Trek, etc).
- Movie Reviews! Action flicks, sci-fi adventures, books-turned-movies, boardgames-turned-movies, chick flicks starring people you may recognize from nerdy shows or video games! YOU NAME IT!
- Music Suggestions and Reviews! Like book and movie reviews but less frequent. We're pretty loyal to Amanda Palmer, just sayin'...
- Photoshoots! Unnecessary and delightful! Look, we're both actors and we enjoy taking nice pictures, all right?
- Video Game Reviews! Again, self-explanatory and less frequent probably than book reviews. This may also include rants about really hard boss battles or qualms with the design. We don't play as many games as we used to, but we're on the outskirts of interest, so we might as well include it just in case.
- Hodgepodge! Theatre reviews, rants, observations, general discussion. Anything is game.
- Podcasts! In the future we would like to include podcasts and some video podcasts. We are hoping in a few months to begin adding these in after some experimentation, so be patient with us.
We're basically ready to mingle, so give us a shout if you want to see a review or discussion take place. We will be making appearances at some conventions as well, so keep us in mind if you've got something in the works!
Coming up this week (possibly): Book Reviews of "Kraken" by China Mieville, "Divergent" by Veronica Roth, "Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti" by Genevieve Valentine, and "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern [from AG]. Also reviews of "A Single Man" by Christopher Isherwood, "Shakespeare: World as Stage" by Bill Bryson, "A Moveable Feast" by Ernest Hemingway, "Things We Think About Games" edited by Hindemarch and Tidball [from AM]. Hodgepodge post about Geek Girl Burlesque [AM].