Monday, October 10, 2011

[AM] Tid Bits, Wonders & The Future

First off apologies for the lack of posts lately. This past week or so has been crazy busy and I just haven’t had time to write. On the plus side so MUCH has happened that I just have to share with an appreciative audience. So be warned, I’m gonna hit you with a lot of awesome. Right at your face.

  1. The Temple of Boobs: An Indiana Jones Burlesque
As mentioned in my last post I’m a burlesque dance with a company known as Geek Girl Burlesque. I am currently directing and choreographing the Indiana Jones burlesque (Opening October 28th) & it has been a struggle. The girls have started calling it “The Little Show That Could”. Since it has been picked up it has gone through 1 director, 3 choreographers, 1 costumer & 1 photographer. Not to mention a complete script overhaul and missing almost two weeks of rehearsal. And yet every time someone quits (usually very last min.) it actually turns out for the better. The costumes look fantastic, the sare killer (if I do say so myself) & the girls are incredible. We have a lot of work left to do but I just couldn’t be happier. Get tickets here for this show & all others produced by GGB.

  1. Chicago Star Trek Convention 
 Again as stated in my last post I am apart of Boobs of Khan: A Star Trek Burlesque. I’m sure this has been mentioned somewhere on the site, but just to reiterate I’M A HUGE TREKKIE (& yes I say Trekkie, because I think Trekker sounds stupid ;) I’ve even got some ink to prove it.
I went to the convention with AG & her dad as well as another dancer in the show, Sadie Hotkins (Data). The Convention was small, but super fun. We got to talk to a bunch of fun nerds & even had some people and congratulate us on the show.  I talked to John de Lancie about My Little Pony & got him to sign “Friendship is Magic” John de Lancie on a photo. We passed out flyers, got some cool loot, talked to the Chicago TARDIS people, watched scenes from A Klingon Christmas Carol, & I have a potential D&D game now. But the real amazing thing is that Sadie Hotkins on a dare went up to Brent Spiner, gave him a flyer of our show and said “I play you. Only naked.” Needless to say he was a bit shocked, but after the initial confusion he was totally on board. As a coward I snuck up behind her and played a long too. Eventually we had Jonathon Frakes in on it too. He asked me who I played & when I said “Picard” he said “YEAH! Picard.” I didn't have the heart to tell him he wasn't in the show. They even offered to tip if we gave them a preview. It was awesome, surreal & creepy, but it made my life. 





  1. TeslaCon
AG & I have finally bought our tickets for Tesla Con & are beyond excited. We’re working on our costumes, which include Ivy & Alexia from Gail Carriger’s amazing book Soulless, some Weird Wild West, a sexy peacock & a lady who looks suspiciously like the Doctor, bow tie & all. Aly & I have never really attend a convention together (apart from the last Trek one) and I couldn’t be happier. We’re planning on launching a podcast there so stay tuned for all of that.


  1. BOOKS
I’ve been reading amazing books lately & thought you would like to check some out.

-Great Philosophers Who Failed At Love by Andrew Shaffer
-Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz
-Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences: Phoenix Rising by Tee Morris & Philippa Ballantine
-The Corpse Wore Pasties by Jonny Porkpie the Mayor of New York Burlesque
-Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (REVIEW COMING SOON)

Next on the List:
-Heartless by Gail Carriger
-Sin in Second City by Karen Abbot
-Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
-Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in the Digital Age by Viktor Mayer-Schonberger
-Geek Girls Unite by Leslie Simon





& That’s pretty much that. I’ll get better at posting PROMISE.

MUAH

-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment